I know that no one who reads my blog has any clue who Fr. Vince, but please pray for him anyway. He is a very close friend of my fathers, he was the pastor at the church where my parents attended when they first moved to Columbia (Sacred Heart) and was the priest who baptized me when I was 27 days old. My earliest memories of him are showing up unannounced at our home bring ice cream for us kids. Vince had surgery to remove esophagus cancer last fall. Below is a report from his sister:
"He has said for over a month that he has not felt well. Last Friday he had a test run and found that he had gall stones. As of today we had not heard what the treatment was to be. That is until this afternoon (March 19). We received a call from Bob Heinz telling us that Vince had called him around noon telling him that he was in severe pain and vomiting. Bob went over and was going to take him to the hospital but Vince was unable to walk to the car, so they called for an ambulance.
Tests were run and found that he had a twisted intestine. Vince called bob around 3:00PM to say he was going to surgery and while on the phone they came for him.We were on the phone with family and the hospital and asked the doctor to call when he finished surgery. Thank God it was Dr. Starke who did the surgery since he did the other one and knows Vince’s insides.
Dr. Starke called about 8:00PM and this is the report: Vince got through surgery okay. He had a bowel obstruction from adhesions, which he said are common for one having had stomach surgery. While in there he took out the gall bladder. Vince has been on blood thinner and they had to reverse that before doing surgery. There was no sign of further cancer. The big concern is Vince’s level of strength.
Update 4:30 A.M. – Dr. Starke called to say that Vince is not doing too well. They had to put him back on the ventilator. His blood pressure is down. He said his condition is not irreversible. So it is definitely up to prayers now."
Monday, March 19, 2007
Thursday, March 15, 2007
This is a silly survey I got off myspace, but it is kind of interested too. I have lived in St. Louis since August 2001...and I think I've done more than some St. Louis natives!
In St. Louis I have seen/been to/experienced:
In St. Louis I have seen/been to/experienced:
- The Adams Mark Hotel -- never stayed in it but I have been inside. My dad stayed at it for a conference when I was a kid and then when we came to St. Louis as a family a couple years later he insisted on taking us inside to show us the big horse statue in the lobby!
- The Old Spaghetti Factory -- many times
- Driven over the MLK bridge -- yup
- Driven Over the J.B. Bridge -- yup (well not me in the drivers seat but I've been over it in the car)
- Driven over the Poplar Street Bridge -- yup
- Been to Pops -- no
- Been to The Oz -- no
- Been to Westport -- yes, not a big fan
- Been to Mardi Gras -- no I think it's just silly to get a huge crowd of people together in the streets to drink. I'd rather drink comfortably at home.
- Gone to the top of The Arch -- yes but not since I moved here
- Ridden Metrolink -- many times
- Shopped at Plaza Frontenac -- no..because I prefer to shop where I can actually afford things.
- Eaten at Imo's Pizza -- not in the restaurant, but I've had the pizza and it's yucky.
- Shopped at South County -- yes, only a couple times, it's out of the way.
- Shopped at West County -- yes, they don't have many stores I like
- Shopped at Galleria -- yes, nice mall, will be interesting to see what happens when hwy 40 is closed tho
- Shopped at Union Station -- yes, tourist mall, I used to see movies out there riding metro down from the UMSL dorms my freshman year though
- Shopped at The Mills --yes, they don't have many stores I care for
- Been to Pink Galleon (any location) -- yes, I hate smokey bars though.
- Gone to Octoberfest in Hermann -- I think we drove out there once or twice when I was a kid.
- Been to Ted Drewes -- yes, and I even had some at a department meeting this afternoon!
- Walked along the Riverfront -- yes
- Been to the Art Museum -- yes - was going every semester while I was in school for art history classes
- Been to Six Flags -- yes, at least once a year for the last 5 years or so
- Been to the St. Louis Zoo -- yes, one of my favorite St. Louis spots!
- Been to Ronnies Theatre -- no, but I don't think I'm missing anything
- Been to the Muny -- yes
- Been to Silo X -- I am seriously afraid of haunted houses...but I want to go to a REAL haunted house with real ghosts and spirits and such
- Been to Forest Park -- yes, it's really quite nice
- Been to Fast Eddies -- nope
- Been to the car show at the Edward Jones Dome -- no but I had to pay extra for my parking when I was working downtown and it was going on!
- Been to a reception at Orlando Gardens -- no but I visited to see about having our wedding reception there.
- Been to The Hill -- yes
- Been to (old) Busch Stadium -- yup
- Been to Busch Stadium II -- yup
- Been to The Checkerdome -- just learned that this is the old arena, and the answer is no because they tore it down before I moved here.
- Been to The Keil Center/Savvis Center/Scottrade Center -- I saw Pope John Paul II there back in 1998 (it was Keil then)
- Been to a concert at Riverport/UMB Pavillion -- yes
- Skied at Hidden Valley -- nope
- Been to Hacienda on Manchester -- yes, I love me some mexican food
- Flown out of Lambert Airport -- yes
- Been to St. Anthony's Hospital -- no
- Eaten at Eat Rite -- ha no but I consider it whenever I drive by
- Been to The Tivoli theatre -- no
- Eaten at Cecil Whittaker's Pizza -- nope
- Been to the "'Revolving Restaurant" downtown? -- no
- Eaten at Crown Candy Kitchen -- yes
- Been to the V.P. Fair -- yes, loved it, trying to forget about the ride home on metro
- Been to Dogtown for the Hibernian's St. Patty's Day Celebration -- nope
- Been to Ameristar -- no
- Been to Harrahs -- no
- Been to Casino Queen -- no
- Been to Fairmount Park for horse-race betting -- no
- Been to Dave & Buster's in Earth City -- yes
- Gone Bowling at Brentwood Lanes -- no
- Sat on that big Tortoise in Forest Park -- yes
- Seen the hot air balloon race at Forest Park -- not the race, but I have seen the glow twice
- Been to the Lemp Mansion -- no but it is supposedly haunted so I want to check it out
- Been to Grant's Farm -- yes, I love to feed the goats from the baby bottles!
- Met Marshall Faulk in person -- no and I wouldn't know him if I saw him
- Met Nelly in person -- no
- Met Ozzie Smith in person -- no
- Eaten at Cunnetto house of Pasta -- yes
- Ridden in the Moon Light Ramble -- no
- Eaten at Helen Fitzgerald's -- no
- Been to the Old Cathedral -- yes
- Hung out on Delmar -- yes, one of the first places I went with people from the dorm when I moved here.
- Been to Meramec Caverns -- no, surprisingly
- Taken classes at Meramec/Forest Park/Flo. Valley -- nope
- Been to the notorious East Side -- ha no!
- Have you ever been asked what high school you go to -- Yes and I tell them Hickman and they look at me like "huh?" Then I explain that I didn't grow up in St. Louis
- Gassed up your car at the giant Amoco sign at the Highest Pointe in St. Louis -- I honestly can't remember. I know I've met up with people at that station
- Eaten at Blueberry Hill? -- yes
- Gone down a slide at the City Museum? -- they are so much fun!
- Gone sledding at Art Hill? -- no
- Gone ice skating at Steinberg rink? -- yes
- Been to Dirt Cheap Cigarettes and Liquor? -- yes
- Mentioned Buckley? -- LOL NO
- Been to the science center? -- yes
- Been on the AB brewery tour? -- no but I have been on Schfley's tour at the Bottleworks!
- Been to Tower Grove Park? -- no
- Been to Laumier Sculpture Park? -- yes, I love it there
- Left St. Louis via the AmShack? -- ha no
- Moved away and come back? -- nope
Wednesday, March 14, 2007
Monday, March 05, 2007
Examples of why I love craigslist, here are two posted today:
2 to 3 foot female boa constrictor for trade:
very healthy snake. around 2 to 3 foot female guyana red tail boa. also a 20 gallon tank.will trade for a ps2,go carts,pocket bikes and other interesting trades. also looking for a registered female pitbull.i also have more high end boas i might consider trading.
Free somewhat busted lamp & bookshelf:
I just ditched a somewhat busted bookshelf (the little pegs that hold up one of the movable shelves are missing) and a somewhat busted 3-bulb stand-up lamp (the kind that normally has a long tubular papery shade over it, but the shade got torn up by my darling little cat, and it turns out I hate the lamp anyway) by one of the dumpsters behind the 6600 block of Washington Ave in U City (just south of the loop). So if you want some slightly busted furniture, by all means....