"In 1981, most students could earn two-thirds of the cost of a year of college by working full time at a minimum-wage job during the summer. Today, students would have to work full time for an entire year to cover the cost of one year at a public university..."
An interesting article from the Columbia Missourian, A penny saved is a degree earned.
I'd have to say that I definately missed out on a lot of stuff offered by my university because I had to work to get through college. Each year for the 4 years I was in school the tuition was raised, I think by 14% one year from the year before.
Thursday, December 28, 2006
Thursday, December 07, 2006
This survey is about the year 2006. Answer the questions thinking about the past year. My answers are below:
- Overall, have you had a good year? It's a good thing we got married this year....otherwise the entire year would have sucked.
- What has been your biggest achievement? getting married
- Did you take any exams, pass? nope nope I is done with school
- Have you been on a vacation (list where and when)? Jamaica in June for the honeymoon, and then Chicago in July to go to Six Flags and Chicago again in October to help some friends move (I don't know if that one counts as a vacation)
- Have you bought anything expensive? a new car - 2004 Honda Civic
- Have you had a job? yes, been there 1 year and 3 months now
- Made any big decisions? I said "I do"
- Lost a friend or loved one? In the emotional sense, not the physical (as in she didn't die or anything....)
- Met anyone amazing? That's pretty hard to live up to...someone AMAZING...not sure.
- Made new friends? yes, some new people at work and friends of friends
- Moved house? nope
- Changed College? done with college
- Tried something new? being married - LOL
- Been more happy or sad? happy
- Made any enemies? not on purpose...
- What music will you remember from this year? I haven't bought a CD in ages...music sucks right now.
- What movies have you seen at the cinema this year? Believe it or not, I have not seen ANY movies in the theater this year...but I did join netflix
- What was your best night out? My wedding day
- What was your worst night out? I don't go out much
- Best day? my wedding day
- Worst day? when our chinchilla Teddy died
- Best month? June
- Worst month? November
- Was summer a gooden'? summer's always good
- Have you made better friends with anyone? yes and very glad for it
- Lost any friends? yes...it makes me sad
- Made any plans for next year? not really
- How many hair colours have you had? just brown
- Got pierced? no...still too scared of needles
- Got inked? never!
- Changed your image? nope
- Missed anyone? yes
- Know what you want in the future? yup
- Regret anything? yes, but who never does anything they regret?
- Have you had any relationships this year? with my husband!
- Been to church? yes, I try to go every week but sometimes I can't get out of bed early enough.
- Cried yet? yeah....it happens once in awhile
- Been on a diet? I *thought* about going on a diet but never got past that point
- Pulled an all nighter? no...I like my sleep
- Drank Starbucks? yucky-0
- Went Camping? no but I hope too next year
- Bought something(s)? lots of things
- Met someone special? everyone is special
- Been out of state? out of the country in fact
- Gone Snowboarding? no...but we got a lot of snow this week and I probably could have.
- Gotten in a car accident? well not me...but I was in the car
- Gone over your cell phone bill? yes because I had to make sure that we weren't going over our minutes